For this reason, manufacturers have prepared for parents a wide range of products for washing baby clothes, available in both forms powder, liquid and soap flakesor appreciated in some circles laundry nuts.
Until when to wash children's clothes separately: official recommendations
Official recommendations (e.g. of the Institute of Mother and Child) indicate that children's clothes should be washed in special products intended for infants until they finish their year. However, some doctors believe that it is enough to use special products for washing by first half of a child's life. Is it always necessary? Of course not, although it allows you to act preventively, avoiding possible problems with irritation of the baby's skin.
A lot depends on individual features of the baby's skin. Some children are more sensitive and it is easier for them to get irritated, while others quickly cease to require so far caution and tolerate washing well in ordinary powders. They are also important experiences of parents themselves. Some mothers complain that children's powders are weaker, and clothes are harder to find, which is why they have more motivation to change them into the more effective powders for adults.
So what to do to minimize the risk of allergies?
The golden means is to keep the child washing program created specifically for children by the end of the year (or by choosing the double rinse option).
However, the question about when to stop using special children's powders / liquids and start washing clothes together with the clothes of other family members should be answered by each parent individually. Sometimes this moment occurs in the fourth month of life, at other times after half a year, and at other times around the first birthday. The basis is observation of the child's skin.
It is certain that in the second and third year of life toddler's skin is more resistant and less prone to irritation. Therefore, during this period, an attempt to opt out of "special powders" may be indicated.
How to wash children's clothes?
- Washing powder for children (e.g. Lovela, Jelp, Bobas, Dzidziuś) - hypoallergenic products, recommended for use from the first day of life of the newborn. They are deprived of enzymes and artificial colors. Most often they have a delicate, non-irritating smell. They can also be used by people with sensitive skin, prone to irritation.
- Washing liquids for children - instead of powder, you can choose washing liquid for baby clothes (e.g. Bobini) or gel (e.g. Jelp). Pharmaceutical hypoallergenic washing concentrates (e.g. Planete Blue) are also available on the market, but they do not look good in terms of price: you have to reckon with the cost of about PLN 50 per liter.
- Soap flakes (e.g. Dzidziuś, Bebi) - best for hand washing (they are also available as a machine washable version, but most often require thorough, time-consuming dissolution in hot water before using them by pouring into the washing machine drum). They are considered the most delicate and safest for sensitive, prone to irritation skin of a child. They have been known for decades and are considered a reliable way for grandmothers.
- Gray soap or White Deer powder - there are moms who praise these products. Washing using them is a traditional way from the days when special baby powders were unavailable.
- Normal powders - some parents (especially those who do not have bad experiences with allergies) wash baby clothes from the beginning in "ordinary powders", choosing those with the inscription "Sensitive", which means more delicate. In addition, by setting the double rinse option on the washing machine, they get rid of powder residue from clothes.
- Washing nuts - the so-called eco solution, which has a large group of supporters and opponents. You can read more about it here.
Liquid or washing powder?
The two basic versions of products used for washing are liquid and powder. The difference between them seems cosmetic to many and the choice largely depends on personal preferences. The main difference is that the liquid is ready for immediate use and you don't have to wait for it to dissolve in the water when washing your hands.
Hand washing children's clothes
When washing by hand (which parents often reach for when the child is small), it is worth noting that there is a problem with thorough rinsing of the powder or liquid used (especially that they are used "by eye"). For this reason, you should consider using soap flakes that are softer than powders, and pay attention to thoroughly rinse your clothes under running water. However, if irritation appears on the child's skin, it is better to give up such manual "quail" and trust the programs in the washing machine (with double rinsing)
Powders for children with atopic dermatitis
Each mother has her own individual experience in preventing irritation in children with nitritis dermatitis. Therefore, many tips that turn out to be a bull's-eye on one are completely useless on the other.
General recommendations are to use soap flakes in children who have atopic skin because they do not contain dyes, detergents and enzymes. If your child is allergic, it is advisable to be cautious when choosing laundry detergents, even until they finish 3 years old.
And what do you wash children's clothes in?